Friday, September 15, 2006

Well, I've completed two weeks here and my classes have been going pretty well. My students range from 8th grade to 12th grade - Algebra 1 to AP Calculus. It rains every few days and when it rains, it pours! The power goes off almost every day. We have a generator at the school, but we can't run the AC when we're on generator 'cause it sucks the energy right up. Sometimes, it gets pretty hot and humid inside unless the power comes back on within an hour or so. I have joined the HS band and am loving it! The band director has been away for two years so some of the students are a bit rusty, but they're getting better everyday. In the past, the band has had several adults join in and hopefully there'll be more than just me this year. We're practicing for the Christmas concert so all I have in my head is Carol of the Bells, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, and The Jingle Bell Rock, even though it's only September. I'm getting to know some of the other single ladies - we have a Bible Study on Monday nights. Also, I went to my first church service, which was held at the school (so I can just walk). The congregation is pretty large and consists of missionaries from various organizations. It lasts for an hour and a half and the music is great! They even get the students involved in the worship band. The school really is a spirit-filled place - it is evident that God is working in the lives of the MKs (missionary kids) and the faculty. I am amazed at the students' mature behavior. They're respectful to adults, they have a good work ethic (complete HW, don't cheat, participate in class), and they have a good overall attitude. It's not perfect, of course, there have been a few bumps in the road and there's still some "drama" that goes on, but there is a big difference between this school and other schools I've been in - the whole atmosphere is pleasant and teachers actually look forward to coming to school and teaching. On another note, I will be starting to learn Indonesian this coming week. I'll be working with an Indonesian tutor twice a week; he also teaches Indonesian to the students at various levels. I'm looking forward to this so I can start to feel more connected with the people here and I can communicate with them. That's all for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robby,

I am glad that you are in a Spirit Filled place where you can have a ministry. Your rewards will be great and many for following God wherever He leads you. I am looking forward to your phone call tonight. I hope you got my e-mail telling you the time to call. Well I am sure you will blend in and make lots of friends and your students will love you as well. I know you will give them your best because that is what you do, Give Your Best to the Master.

Love ya and look forward to talking to ya this evening.

MOM & DAD

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home